Corey Creekmur, Ph.D.
Corey K. Creekmur is jointly appointed in Cinematic Arts and English and is affiliated with the Department of Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies. He is also affiliated with the South Asian Studies Program and directs the Institute for Cinema and Culture.
His teaching and research focus on international popular cinema (especially American and South Asian), cross-cultural film genres, and the way in which such films interact with other media (such as music) as well as popular discourses of race, gender, and sexuality. He also teaches courses, derived from the theoretical foundations of cultural studies, Marxism, and psychoanalysis, on the relation between film stars and fans. His work in American literature and popular culture within the Department of English deals with popular genres as well, including detective fiction and comics (newspaper strips, comic books, and graphic novels).
He serves on the editorial advisory board of the journals The Velvet Light Trap, Bioscope: South Asian Screen Studies, and Queer Studies in Media & Popular Culture and is the General Editor of the Comics Culture book series for Rutgers University Press. He is also currently Secretary of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies.
- “Indian Film Noir,” in International Noir, ed. Homer Pettey, Susan White, and R. Barton Palmer. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2014.
- “Science Fiction and Comics,” in The Oxford Companion to Science Fiction, ed. Rob Latham. London: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- “The Cowboy Chorus: Musical and Narrative Functions of the Western Theme Song,” in Music and the Western, ed. Kathryn Kalinak. New York: Routledge, 2011.
- The International Film Musical, co-edited with Linda Mokdad. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2012.
- Cinema, Law, and the State In Asia, co-edited with Mark Sidel. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
Selected Online Essays
- “The Working Day” (on Mad Men): Kritik, April 21, 2014.
- “Under Pressure” (on Breaking Bad): Kritik, September 30, 2013.
- “The Reckless Moment,” La Furia Humana 9, 2011. http://www.lafuriaumana.it/index.php/archives/37-lfu-9/320-corey-creekmur-the-reckless-moment
- American Film Genres - especially Film Noir, The Western, and The Musical
- Film and Music
- Popular Hindi Cinema
- Representations of Race, Gender, and Sexuality in Mass Culture
- Avant-Garde Film
- Queer Theory
- Psychoanalytic and Marxist Theories of Mass Culture
- Forms of Popular Literature - including Crime Fiction and Comics